Wednesday, November 26, 2014

B - Buongiorno!


Braciole is on the menu this week: it's a Sunday dinner or special-occasion meat dish that's always popular with my family.

BRACIOLE - Italian meat rolls
6 servings

1 1/2 pounds flank steak
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbl dried onion flakes
2 Tbl parsley
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper if desired
your favorite Italian tomato gravy (spaghetti sauce)

Cut the flank steak into three sections, and then slice each section horizontally to make two thin pieces from each.  You'll have six pieces total.

Place each piece between two sheets of waxed paper and pound until thin and tenderized.

Combine the filling ingredients in a small bowl.  Other recipe variations also include pine nuts, raisins/currants, or sliced cheese as filling, but our family recipe uses only the bread crumb and shredded cheese mixture.

Roll and tie ends with string or secure with toothpicks.

Sear the rolls in hot oil until browned.

Add the rolls to your pot of "gravy"  (spaghetti sauce to most of you), and simmer all for an hour or so until everything is tender and the flavors are melded.  My batch of gravy this time also included meatballs, sausage, and a couple of pieces of chicken.

Enjoy the braciole rolls with pasta, and freeze the leftovers for another tasty dinner later. I always have a couple of containers of gravy in the freezer in case of
 pasta emergencies!   
 
Bustle over to Alphabe and find a bunch more B entries!
 
***************

6 comments:

Betty said...

Grazie. That sounds good! I think I'll give it a try.

Judie said...

I use my tenderizing tool several times a week, so I know that I can try this recipe with success! Thank you! It sounds delicious!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely! This looks so delicious...I love new recipes to try. :)

Lmkazmierczak said...

Would love to have this served to me....doubt I'd ever actually make it myself♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/brevity/

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

That's going on my to do list asap!

Anonymous said...

I'd forgotten about this recipe!

Yours looks amazing.

I'm definitely going to try this again.

I wonder if you could freeze it?

Thanks for a beautiful recipe for the letter B.

A+